Saturday, April 19, 2008

Wellness Coaching

Many of you know that I teach and write curriculum for a coach training program called Wellcoaches. The curriculum writing will turn into a published book, tentatively called a Coaching Psychology Manual, by this time next year. That's part of why I am taking this break from writing new Provisions -- to finish that and several other book projects (all of which are moving forward, so I'm excited).

This past week the New York Times featured a story on wellness coaching. Here are a few, slightly-edited paragraphs from the reporter's story:

"Clients, coaches and fitness professionals all said that educated and well-trained wellness coaches can make a real difference. 'A coach is somebody who can use behavior-modification techniques effectively,' Dr. Walter Thompson said. 'Some personal trainers can do that, but most can’t.'

Rather than viewing wellness coaches as adversaries, trainers are succumbing to the coaching phenomenon. 'We’re seeing some trainers looking to expand their reach by going into wellness coaching,' said Cedric Bryant, the chief science officer at the American Council on Exercise. 'It could be a complementary matchup,' Dr. Bryant said. While wellness coaches are expected to be knowledgeable about fitness, their main function is more psychological. It's all about setting goals and following through.

It even worked for me. I was surprised to report to my wellness coach that the week since our session had gone well. My wife and I had actually cooked together each night, and I had not only picked up a yoga schedule, but made it to a few classes.

This is the effectiveness of wellness coaching -- helping a client take goals from the abstract to small, achievable tasks. But considering the price, I wondered if I might have achieved the same changes with a list of goals on a notepad and stepped-up resolve. On the other hand, I hadn’t taken action on my goals until a coach made me accountable. That made all the difference."

You can read the whole story by going to the Fashion & Style Section.

Coaching Inquiries: What goals do you have that you are not acting upon? Who could support and challenge you to get going and follow through? What's stopping you from giving Wellcoaches or LifeTrek a call?

No comments: